Pages

Saturday 3 August 2013

SYMPATHY



                                        SYMPATHY

About the poem

Sympathy is a quality of God. We should not be indifferent towards the sufferings of other people. Money is great but greater than money is sympathy. If somebody helps us with money, we can pay back money is due course. But the service done to us in sympathy cannot be aid back.

I lay in sorrow, deep distressed;  
My grief a proud man heard;
His looks were cold, he gave me gold,
But not a kindly word.


                  My sorrow passed-I paid him back 
                  The gold he gave to me;
                  Then stood erect and spoke my thanks
                  And blessed his charity.


I lay in want, and grief, and pain;
A poor man passed my way; 
He bound my dead, He gave me bread,
He watched me day and night.
                     
                   How shall I pay him back again
                   For all he did to me ?
                   Oh, gold is great, but greater far
                   Is heavenly sympathy.                                                                     _ Charles Mackay 

No comments:

Post a Comment